Wilderness Survival Foray - Vermilion Area
Date: Thursday, May 13, 10 am - 4 pm
Location: Vermilion region
Age: 7 and up
Materials: all included
Workshop runs rain, snow or shine.
- "I'm lost in the wilderness, what do I do?"
- Emergency Shelters
- Staying Warm
- Knife usage and safety
- Discussion on importance of fire and its uses/safety
- Introduction to flint and steel (Ferro Rod) fires and practice making sparks
- Practice making small fire using Ferro Rod using natural materials
- Having a kit
- Non-folding knife (if student wishes to use their own)
- Snacks and Lunch
- Sturdy footwear
- Appropriate clothing for weather
Parents are encouraged to attend, but are not considered participants. Sessions are focussed on the children, and parents are encouraged to observe and allow the child to learn at his or her own pace - and perhaps fail. The instructor is an advocate for success through exploring failure and asks that parents allow for the same. This provides an opportunity for the students to build resilience and internalize lessons.
Physical distancing rules in effect.
|Event Date||Thursday, 13 May, 2021|
|Event End Date||Thursday, 13 May, 2021|
|Cut off date||Wednesday, 12 May, 2021|
|Price||$60 per student (parents are free)|