14 yrs and up, $325.00, 14 week course– Prerequisite: Intro to High School Writing
Sharpen the sword of your thought and make it clear, strategic, and effective! Writing an essay is so much more than cover pages and footnotes – it's the process of bringing truth to life in ink on the page! This simple, hands-on course demystifies the essay-writing process, walking students through the mechanics of writing argumentative, research, personal, and literary essays in a practical way. Students complete a writing assignment every week and study stellar examples of great writing to inspire their own work. They meet in class with other students to discuss the writing process, and receive a short private tutorial time weekly with the tutor.
All readings and course material will be provided to students in an online format.
The course outline covers the following concepts:
- Strong Thesis Statements
- Outlines & Specific Paragraph Characterization
- Research & Citation
- Essay Types: Compare/Contrast, Expository, Literary Analysis, Cause & Effect, Personal
- Essay Synthesis
Week 4: Introduction & Conclusion Paragraphs (Write a strong introduction and conclusion to the argumentative essay; revise the body paragraphs)
- Lesson: Introduction & Conclusion Paragraphs
- The Good Schoolmaster by Thomas Fuller
- Introductions (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, College of Arts and Sciences, Writing Centre)
- Conclusions (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, College of Arts and Sciences, Writing Centre)
- Transitions (AIMS Community College Online Writing Lab)