Wilderness Survival Foray
Date: Saturday, September 7, 10 am - 4 pm
Location: Chickakoo Lake Recreation Area
Age: 7 and up
Materials: all included
Workshop runs rain or shine.
- "I'm lost in the wilderness, what do I do?"
- Discussion on importance of fire and its uses/safety
- Introduction to flint and steel (Ferro Rod) fires and practice making sparks
- Practice making small fire using Ferro Rod using natural materials
- Discuss knife usage and safety
- Practice making stakes/roasting stick followed by batoning firewood
- Emergency Shelters
- Non folding knife (if they wish to use their own)
- Snacks and Lunch
- Bug Spray/Sunscreen (if desired)
- Sturdy footwear (no sandals/flip flops or open toe shoes)
- Appropriate clothing for weather
Parents are encouraged to attend, but are not considered participants. Sessions are focussed on the children, and parents are encouraged to observe and allow the child to learn at his or her own pace - and perhaps fail. The instructor is an advocate for success through exploring failure and asks that parents allow for the same. This provides an opportunity for the students to build resilience and internalize lessons.
|Event Date||Saturday, 07 Sep, 2019|
|Event End Date||Saturday, 07 Sep, 2019|
|Cut off date||Monday, 02 Sep, 2019|
|Price||$60 per student (parents free)|